The term ‘Modern Slavery’ captures a whole range and types of exploitation, many of which can occur together. These include but are not limited to:
- Sexual Exploitation
- Domestic servitude
- Forced labour
- Criminal exploitation
- Other forms of exploitation include organ removal, forced begging, forced benefit fraud forced marriage and illegal adoption
These risks will be present in a range of service areas providing support to the most at risk children’s and adults.
Modern Day Slavery is a cross cutting issue that extends to both criminal justice and safeguarding and social care services, as well as procurement. A Hampshire Modern Slavery Partnership is driving this agenda across the Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton Safeguarding Partnerships and Hampshire Constabulary.
The following resources support the work of the Modern Slavery Partnership:
A new Survivor Hub is available here for survivors to find opportunities for work and paid research participation, resources such as those on education, housing support, the NRM and mental health support and includes directories of support providers and legal advisors across the country.
- Modern Slavery Partnership Strategy 2020-2023
- Southampton City Council Modern Slavery Statement 2022/23
- Hampshire, Southampton, Portsmouth and Isle of Wight Modern Slavery Victim Pathway
- SHIVA Foundation Modern Slavery Toolkit for Hoteliers
- Modern Slavery Indicator list for Hoteliers
- UK Government Modern Slavery/Human Trafficking National Referral Mechanism forms and assessment
- Beyond the Streets Sex Worker Resources for frontline practitioners
For further information please visit the Modern Slavery Partnership website.
The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Modern Slavery Partnership have produced an eLearning that will support you to:
- develop an understanding of what human trafficking is
- be able to identify the types of exploitation involved
- develop an awareness of the current framework
- know how the national referral mechanism (NRM) aims to support potential victims of Modern Slavery
- have an awareness of where to go for more information and support services
Visit the eLearning below:
Please visit the Southampton City Council’s Modern Slavery page for further information: Modern Slavery (southampton.gov.uk)
Reporting Modern Slavery
If you suspect modern slavery, report it to the Modern Slavery Helpline on 0800 012 1700 or the police on 101. In an emergency always call 999. Don’t leave it to someone else. Your information could save a life.