Concerned about an adult at risk?

Adult SC contact box

If you are a professional wanting to make a referral please see below referral forms for external agencies to refer adult safeguarding concerns to Southampton City Council (SCC) Adult Social Care:

SCC Adult Safeguarding Concern Referral Form – This form is for use by workers (usually a manager)  from any agency to raise a safeguarding concern to SCC about an adult (age over 18) who is believed to have care and support needs and be at risk of abuse (including high risk self-neglect) within the city boundary. Please send this form to or contact the telephone number 023 8083 3003 if you require assistance.

SCC Safeguarding Information from Workers Form – This form is to be used if workers in an agency have information about an adult safeguarding concern that needs to be recorded, and /or for workers to alert managers of concerns.

The following information will help you understand how reports about safeguarding concerns for adults and vulnerable people are dealt with.  Please remember that any abuse is unacceptable. If you believe a crime has been committed please contact the Police.

What you can do if you think someone is being abused:

·         take action – don’t assume that someone else is doing something about the situation

·         if anyone is injured get a doctor or ambulance

·         if you think a criminal offence has been committed, contact the police straight away

·         make a note of your concerns, what happened and any action you take

·         all safeguarding matters will be dealt with confidentially, though if the issues concern evidence of a crime, or unacceptable risk, this may be shared with the appropriate authorities

·         Contact Adult Social Care at Southampton City Council using the above details.

From 27th June 2016, in Southampton, all adults experiencing high risk Domestic Abuse will be referred to MASH for multi-agency risk reduction discussion. Referrals to MASH are for adults with or without children.  There is one MASH referral form that covers both adults and their children (if applicable) and the documents which support this are available here.

What will happen next?

Adult Services work closely with other organisations and the person affected to find out as much as possible about what has happened. They will do a number of things which might include:

·         talking to you and other people involved to find out what has happened

·         planning what to do to safeguard the person being abused

·         supporting the person and their carers through the process

·         being available to offer support in the future

All safeguarding matters will be dealt with confidentially. However, if the issues concern evidence of a crime, or unacceptable risk, this may be shared with the appropriate authorities.

Protecting adults from abuse and harm is a significant concern and from April 2015, a statutory duty for public organisations in Southampton. These include Southampton City Council, Hampshire Constabulary, the Probation Service, Care Quality Commission and the NHS.  They work in partnership to provide information and details on how to report abuse where it concerns an adult.


speak out small pic 3



If you wish to report concerns regarding a child, young person or family please contact the Southampton Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) please use the telephone numbers below:
Tel: 023 80 832300 (Professionals Number)
Tel: 023 80 83336 (Public Number)

Alternatively please visit the Southampton City Council MASH web page –